We get it, this day and age, stress is inevitable. It’s almost become a badge of honor, a contest of who has the most on their plate (not literally, well, at least not here at Garcia Weight Loss and Wellness) and who is juggling the most at any given time. Unfortunately, chronic stress can wreak havoc on your health and specifically your weight. When you are overstressed, you might notice some of these common symptoms:
- Trouble sleeping
- Increased irritability (totally guilty of this one, Sorry to my children!)
- Frequent headaches
- Increase in appetite
But what’s going on internally can be even worse…your body is sent into fight or flight mode. This will ramp up production of adrenaline and cortisol. These hormones change the digestive process and boost glucose levels in the bloodstream. If they stay elevated, these higher glucose levels can be responsible for packing on the pounds and increased belly-fat. Not to mention stress has a tendency to drive you to the cookie jar.
Since April is Stress Awareness Month, Dr. Garcia wants to give you some tips and tools to manage your stress and avoid the weight gain that comes with it. Here are some ways that you can effectively reduce your stress (even when you can’t control the world around you):
- Get some physical activity – Who doesn’t feel better after a workout?!
- Practice relaxation techniques like meditation or yoga
- Jam out – listening to your favorite music can help to calm and relax you
- Eat healthy, well-balanced meals with whole foods
- Use Dr. Garcia’s Relora Plex – this stress-buster is made with herbal extracts and our patients love it for it’s ability to reduce irritability and improve sleep
- Get some sunshine – We’re lucky to be in Tampa where this usually isn’t a problem, but regardless of where you live, natural light is an awesome mood booster
Let this be a good reminder to take inventory of the stressors in your life and to make sure you are doing what you can to minimize and manage them.
To learn more about our Weight Loss and Wellness services, click here to get your No Cost Consult!