How often have you heard that those last 10 pounds are the hardest to lose? They may be, but evidence has shown that it’s the first 10 that matter the most.
“We are seeing major health benefits when a patient is able to lose just 5-10% of their body weight. This new standard for weight loss is very important goal to attain due to the dramatic benefits for our patients” says Dr. Garcia. For most people, that can seem like a much more attainable initial goal than say a 50 pound weight loss. That means that for someone who weighs 200 pounds, setting an initial goal of losing 10-20 pounds can give them dramatic and beneficial results.
A 5-10% weight loss can:
- Decrease hypertension, both systolic and diastolic by 5mmHg, reducing the risk of heart disease and stroke.
- Improve good cholesterol (HDL) by about 5 points, also lowering the risk of heart disease.
- Lower triglycerides significantly, around 40mg/dL. Triglycerides of over 200mg/dL increase the risk for heart attack and stroke.
- Decrease insulin resistance and lower A1C numbers, a marker for diabetes. Insulin resistance can cause fat storage, especially in the waistline.
- Improve or even cure Sleep Apnea.
- Reduce inflammation in blood vessels, helping to reduce the risk of plaque and blood clots.
- Increase energy and vitality.
Also, the psychological benefits of achieving beneficial results like these are huge. With smaller increments of weight loss like 5 or 10% of their body weight, people become more motivated, more active, and feel a sense of accomplishment for their achievement. They feel better, and they look better. Friends and family start to notice, so it is awesome motivation to continue a healthy lifestyle.
Here in Tampa, at Garcia Weight Loss, we are proud that over 52% of our patients are able to attain weight loss of at least 10% of their body weight, and 82% lose at least 5%. Dr. Garcia has been dedicated to patients’ lives and health through weight loss and wellness for over 10 years. He believes in this new standard for setting initial weight loss goals and for helping patients to succeed in both losing weight and improving their health and longevity.
What would losing 5-10% of your body weight do for you? Request a No Cost Consultation at Garcia Weight Loss and Wellness now and start reaping the health benefits.