You may have seen recent news reports about a class action lawsuit against CVS over false marketing of its Omega-3 Krill Oil. The CVS case raises questions about how consumers can be sure that they are receiving the quality products they believe they are purchasing in an effort to improve their health. The health claims regarding supplements can be confusing, and irresponsible advertising only makes it more difficult to determine which products will help you reach your health goals, and which ones aren’t worth your money.
The CVS case argues that customers paid a premium price for the product based on claims that it was 100% Pure Omega-3 Krill Oil. A study by the United States Department of Agriculture, however, found that the product contained only 60 percent of the krill oil represented on the package.
The International Fish Oil Standards Program
Consumers are smart to question who they can trust when it comes to protecting, improving, or rebuilding their health and well-being. At Garcia Weight Loss, we are committed to providing you with only the highest quality products, and we dedicate ourselves to prioritizing your health above all else. For this reason, we are proud to say our fish oil supplements are third-party tested and certified by the International Fish Oil Standards Program (IFOS) to assure quality and safety.
The IFOS Program was established in 2004 to address the important issue of transparency in the fish oil industry. Products certified by the IFOS must meet very strict standards of purity and quality. Key elements of the IFOS Program include:
- IFOS holds all fish oil products to the highest industry criteria for contaminants, durability, balance, and strength. IFOS regulations are stricter than those established by the Council for Responsible Nutrition and the World Health Organization.
- IFOS offers product reports that are free for consumers to download from the IFOS website. All specific batch and lot numbers are thoroughly examined and included on the IFOS website to give consumers extra assurance that their product is indeed IFOS certified.
- IFOS concentrates solely on omega-3 fish oil products. The IFOS has extensive practice and expertise in examining and analyzing fish oil products at every point in the supply chain and devotes its resources to serving the fish-oil industry and its customers.
The fundamental characteristics of an IFOS-certified organization include:
- A concern for the safety and well-being of their consumers.
- A devotion to transparency and a strong belief in the consumer’s right to have all the information about what they purchase.
- A willingness to have their products comprehensively tested and held up to the strictest criteria in the industry for safety, cleanliness, and quality.
- A complete understanding of the necessity of printing and distributing complete product examination reports for consumers to view.
Our Omega-3 Pro has received 5 out of 5 stars from IFOS, which represents the highest worldwide standards for fish oil.
Omega-3 fish oil has been associated with many health benefits, including improved cardiovascular health, reduced inflammation, and maintenance of cognitive function. Our IFOS-certified fish oil is available in our weight-loss centers and at our online store.