We’ve got some helpful hints that can make your restaurant meal a success and still keep you on track. We know it can be intimidating to eat out while trying to stick to your nutritional plan. Huge menus, peer pressure, and the sights and smells of your favorite restaurant…it’s no surprise that it’s a challenge to eat healthy while dining out. But don’t despair!
Shari, one of the Medical Assistants in the South Tampa office, is always interested in finding new ways to help our patients achieve their weight loss goals. Shari has recently compiled her favorite tips for dining out. Check them out below:
- Scout the restaurant’s menu, decide what to order, and look up the nutritional facts beforehand.
- On the menu, seek out foods that are “grilled”, “baked”, “broiled”, or “steamed”.
- Likewise, avoid foods that are “breaded”, “fried”, “sautéed”, and “creamy”.
- Gravitate to dishes that have vegetables or lean protein as the main portion.
- Split an entrée or order from the appetizer menu to control portion size.
- Order a side salad or steamed veggies as your side dish instead of fries.
- Watch those condiments! They’re perfect hiding places for sugar, fat and calories.
- Skip dessert (and then pat yourself on the back).
- Drink water with lemon and avoid high-calorie alcoholic beverages.
Medically reviewed by Jay J. Garcia, MD on July 25, 2013